[TYPO3-core] Discussion: Remove default columns in favour for backend_layout

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu Jul 19 17:20:35 CEST 2012

Am 19.07.2012 16:33, schrieb Helmut Hummel:
> Hi Joey,
>
> On 19.07.12 13:24, JoH asenau wrote:
>>> The "connection" is called TypoScript and has to be provided by the
>>> Integrator.
>>> We can just provide some code and best practice examples.
>>> See my other post in this thread for an example code.
>>
>> This leads to the conclusion though that we had to provide cObj->data
>> values out of TSconfig
>
> ???
>
> Why? Of course the selected backend layout still needs to be stored in
> the page record. I don't see the connection to TypoScript here.

I understood, that you would provide layouts purely based on TSconfig
without making them selectable in the TCE form of a page.

So you just want to provide the available backend layout setups via
TSconfig but still do the selection within the backend editing form of
the page?

The problem with this solution would be that there is no normalized DB
connection between layouts and pages anymore, which was the main reason
why we provided DB records to store the backend layouts in. So you would
save values in the DB without being able to remove them, when the
TSconfig changes, leading to "value not allowed" messages, when editing
the form. After all this would be close to the mess we already got with
the TemplaVoila way of doing things.

BTW: If it's just about being able to store the setup in a file, this
can already be done, sine this is what is already implemented in grid
elements. So you still provide DB records as setup containers providing
icons and descriptions, while being able to include their setup from the
file system.

Still I think that the basic idea of this thread, namely having a
TSconfig based default backend layout instead of the 4 column view,
would be a good idea, since a default will be always available thus
avoiding the problems with the missing normalization.

Another 3 cent ;-)

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de