[TYPO3-core] [TYPO3-core-internal] Deprecation strategy

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Jul 11 09:51:22 CEST 2012

Susanne Moog schrieb am 10.07.2012 16:10:

> On 07/08/2012 01:07 PM, Ingmar Schlecht wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> while I like the fact that we have a deprecation strategy in general, I
>> think we should weigh-in more factors when thinking about the final
>> removal of methods instead of just following a strict rule of removal
>> after two versions.
>>

> I think following conventions here is important for being predictable. I
> would not want a case by case decision for all methods. I think 2
> versions (or a year) is long enough for extension authors to keep up. To
> keep the users happy we should really have a script / an extension / a
> TER display for finding extensions using deprecated functions. The real
> problem is for me not that there are few extensions updated but that you
> can't really predict which extensions will work. I'd rather have 100
> extensions that are kept up-to-date than 5000 where 4900 don't work with
> a current version. Dreaming: A selector for TER and a checkbox for the
> extension manager to show only compatible extensions...

An extension released to TER should have a 'typo3' constraint and this
*must* be at most the current TYPO3 version, e.g.:

  'typo3' => '3.5-4.5',

As soon as a new TYPO3 version is released, this constraint is simply no
longer valid. TER should not show this version in the list anymore (or
something).

The "typo3" constraint should be required for all extensions before we
can start making good use of it. There are lots of extensions with
entries like '3.5.0-' or '3.7.0-0.0.0' (open end) or no 'typo3'
constraint at all.

Cheers,
Ernesto