[TYPO3-core] [TYPO3-core-internal] Deprecation strategy

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed Jul 11 10:13:20 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 11-7-2012 9:51, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> An extension released to TER should have a 'typo3' constraint and this
> *must* be at most the current TYPO3 version, e.g.:
>
>    'typo3' => '3.5-4.5',
>
> As soon as a new TYPO3 version is released, this constraint is simply no
> longer valid. TER should not show this version in the list anymore (or
> something).
>
> The "typo3" constraint should be required for all extensions before we
> can start making good use of it. There are lots of extensions with
> entries like '3.5.0-' or '3.7.0-0.0.0' (open end) or no 'typo3'
> constraint at all.

This has been discussed already in the Extension Coordination Team list.
Plans for doing this "TER cleanup" have been delayed by the typo3.org
relaunch (new TER extensions). I have to contact the authors of the TER
extension on typo3.org to discuss how the functionality can be implemented.
You can read the entire plans in forge and the discussion in the mailing
list. Summary (skipping loads of details):
- no extensions will be deleted completely
- no extension keys will be lost
- TER will filter on not-outdated extensions with option to include them
in results
- EM will show outdated extensions
- 'typo3' dependency will be mandatory with upload and must be for
supported versions of TYPO3
- grace period for extension authors to include dependency plus as much
buzz as possible
- extensions will be marked 'outdated' initially and with new TYPO3
releases based on last update and release dates of TYPO3 core versions

Further discussion on this please to typo3.teams.extension-coordination

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!