[TYPO3-core] [TYPO3-core-internal] Deprecation strategy

Loek Hilgersom loek at netcoop.nl
Tue Jul 10 22:13:10 CEST 2012

Hey Susanne and others,

On 10-07-12 16:10, Susanne Moog wrote:
> Dreaming: A selector for TER and a checkbox for the
> extension manager to show only compatible extensions...

Just dreaming a little more: what about a script crawling all latest versions of
extensions in TER (or even all versions, if processing time permits), check for
deprecated functions and update some compatibility indicators in TER?

It could check for compatibility with the currently supported and upcoming TYPO3
versions, and it can check for deprecated PHP functions using the same logic. If
an extension uses functions that are no longer available in the 'lowest common
denominator' - let's say PHP5.2 and TYPO3 4.5 at the moment - then TER could
automatically label the extension as outdated.

Of course this is not a full compatibility check, but it _is_ a full
incompatibility check. With the correct label and/or explanation it would be a
very useful indicator.

Or what about an automatic extension-author-nagging service? It will email you
every now and then as long as you have deprecated functions in your code ;-)

I get this idea because I'm currently updating an old site to PHP 5.3 with a
very simple and helpful script by Michiel Roos [1] (thanks Michiel!).
Of course running such scripts on all extensions would be very time consuming,
but then again, you only need to do it about once every new TYPO3 release.

Loek

[1]
http://www.typofree.org/article/archive/2011/may/title/check-your-php-code-for-deprecated-ini-directives-and-functions/