[TYPO3-core] [TYPO3-core-internal] Deprecation strategy

Lorenz Ulrich lorenz-typo3 at visol.ch
Thu Jul 12 09:23:29 CEST 2012

Hi everybody

I can only second Benni here.

I made compatibility fixes for some often used extensions (dam,
tt_address, feeditadvanced) and I'm finding myself using wrapper
functions to determine whether to use the outdated t3lib_div functions
or the outsourced new functions.

I think it's in the interest of the community that extensions stay
compatible to TYPO3 4.5 LTS as long as possible. But those functions
deprecated in 4.6 (not in LTS) make dev's life a little bit harder.
Especially now that also int_from_ver is logged as deprecated in 4.7,
further work is required.

Maintaining different versions for different TYPO3 branches is not an
option IMO. Only doing that because some helper functions are available
in one branch, but not in the other would be a waste of time.

Best regards,

Lorenz