[TYPO3-core] [TYPO3-v4] Minutes of the 9th meeting of the 4.7 Release Team

Steffen Ritter steffen.ritter at typo3.org
Mon Jan 30 17:36:19 CET 2012

Hi dear TYPO3 community,

These are the minutes of the 9th TYPO3 Release Team Meeting for version 4.7.

The minutes are also available in the wiki of TYPO3 4.7:
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v47-projects/wiki/9th_Release_Team_Meeting_TYPO3_47

On Monday, January 23nd 2012 we hold our 9th meeting with the following
participants:

* Steffen Ritter (4.7 Release Manager)
* Xavier Perseguers (4.6 Release Manager)
* Oliver Hader (Core Team Leader)

TYPO3 4.7

The release team discussed the merge of typo3.dev, typo3.core and
typo3.projects.v4 due to low traffic and cross-cutting concerns.
We decided to ask the core team about their feeling regarding thes question.

Strategy for Handling of security releases
Since in the past some security releases had introduced regressions the
release team took the time to discuss a new strategy of dealing them:

postulated requirements
------------------------
* everyone planning to install a security release already upgraded to
the latest patch-level release
* the latest patch-level release does not contain regressions

We considere these points as as granted as soon as 1 month passed,
since the latest patch-level release has been published.

facts and procedures
---------------------
* New security releases should not be combined Bugfix/Security releases
anymore.
* Therefore they won't be based upon the head of the branch (for example
TYPO3_4-6) but based upon the tag of the latest patch-level release
since the branch may already have new bugfixes included.
* security patches are applied within the hidden security-repository to
a branch, based on the latest patch-level-tag.
* a new variant of our release script automatically will create a new
version from the latest tag, applying the patches within that
"tag-branch" of the security repository.

Handling of regressions in security releases
* Regressions in security issues are fixed within the hidden
security-branch the release has been created from
* Regression fixes are considered to be security fixes, too.
* the new release script variant will be re-run and again create a
security-release based upon the latest "stable" patch-level tag and the
current fixes in the security branch - this time including the fixes to
the regression.

Bugfix release after a security release
---------------------------------------
For the next "normal" release security fixes are applied to the HEAD of
the version branch on release. This should happen 2 or 3 weeks after the
security release when we can be sure, that have not have been regressions.

If you have any further questions according to the development of TYPO3
4.7, feel free to contact me or just leave your comment within this thread.

Regards

--
Steffen Ritter
Release Manager TYPO3 4.7