[TYPO3-core] Remove flash uploader in TYPO3 4x?

Lorenz Ulrich lorenz-typo3 at visol.ch
Sun Feb 26 23:01:24 CET 2012

Hi there

Even if the mass uploader was not thought for mass uploading :-), mass
uploading with the Flash uploader can work very well (given an
enviromnent without the failure causes mentioned before). For an
integrator it's no problem to deactivate the Flash uploader if he knows
that it won't be working on most company machines.

Using FTP is not an option for the "normal" TYPO3 editor. You need
software, credentials and you need to know how it works.

At our university, IE 8 for Win XP is the standard browser (Firefox
available but deeply hidden in the sub menus) and the Flash plugin is
installed. The Flash uploader is heavily used. I know of other public
institutions where it's even worse (but they're not using TYPO3 :-)).

I think one of the reasons for dropping the Flash uploader might be that
the current implementation is horrible and therefore it's not worth
spending time for improving this imperfect but usable (and IMO used)
solution.

So if you really think that it needs to go, do it :-). But don't
underestimate the number of people actually using this feature.

Best regards,

Lorenz