[TYPO3-core] Commit message nitpicking...

Markus Klein klein.t3 at mfc-linz.at
Sun Feb 19 15:17:09 CET 2012

Hi folks,

Obviously I was the most active "nitpicker" in the last days. Yes, I think the minimum thing we can expect from anybody is to stick to the rules.
The rules are clearly outlined in the WIKI.
I have no idea why the distinction between Fixes and Resolves has been introduced and why it has been introduced silently in the WIKI only.
Furthermore the examples in the WIKI were wrong for a long time, which were corrected by me some month ago.
I encourage everyone to read through http://wiki.typo3.org/CommitMessage_Format_%28Git%29 again and correct everything that might be unclear there.

Having clear and consistent commit messages is the first step towards quality in my eyes!

Just as a note: I almost always give a -1 by reading on such patches, but the follow-up patch with the corrected message follows about a minute later. (patch for patch)
The simple reason for this: There should be an obvious reason why a new patch version has been uploaded.

Feel free to send me a note if you think this consistency is unnecessary and I should stop nitpicking. (No problem ;-))

Kind regards
Markus