[TYPO3-core] Commit message nitpicking...

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Sun Feb 19 14:02:28 CET 2012

Am 19.02.2012 09:17, schrieb Tolleiv Nietsch:

> looking into most change requests in Gerrit you'll see that commit
> messages turn out to be a huge playground for our dear nitpickers.
>
> The defined commit message format [1] distinguishes between "Fixes",
> "Resolves" for certain issue types and it allows "Releases" but not
> "Branches" for the targets. It's not much but still people (even Core
> devs) seem to run into the trap quite often and the nitpickers are happy
> to show them.
>
> Therefore there are two things I need to ask here:
>
> 1) Nitpickers - Y U NO follow "patch for a patch" rules? [2] It's soooo
> easy - fetch the patch, amend the commit message and push.
>
> 2) All other Folks - do we really need to distinguish between "Fixes"
> and "Releases" based on the context and are we really so square headed
> to forbid "Branches" as alias for "Releases"? Do we really want to make
> it so easy for the nitpickers? Are there technical reasons for that?
>
> [1] http://wiki.typo3.org/CommitMessage_Format_(Git)
> [2]
> http://lists.typo3.org/pipermail/typo3-project-v4/2011-March/002115.html

The reason for these different keywords before the issue numbers are
just their semantical differences. All tools we have (like my "merges to
the core") do not care if it is called "Fixes" or "Resolves" (it seems
in this thread "Resolves" is being confused with "Releases", which is a
wrong keyword for be used in conjunction with an issue number).

So in general I don't care which keyword is there, our tools should just
accept both as possible.

As for a "Releases" tag (I've never seen this, has this been done
before??) it's a bit misleading to call it "Branches" as for example
"4.7" is not really a branch (yet). And we should not put "Branches:
4.5, 4.6, master", because the master is a moving target (i.e. in a
context of 4.8 development the above mentioned tag would specify that it
doesn't apply to 4.7).

My "merges to the core" tool doesn't consider a potential "Branches" tag
(yet).

I also agree with the general comments that nitpicking should be
discouraged in exchange to a new corrected patchset.

Cheers,
Ernesto