[TYPO3-core] Translation 'en' missing

Daniel Alder dalder at snowflake.ch
Thu Dec 27 15:40:53 CET 2012

Am 04.11.2012 17:31, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
 > Hi,
 >
 > This is a mistake that is made often: if something happens to work which
 > is not documented to work that way then it is not part of the official
 > API and it is not guaranteed to work like that in the future.

...it's only written down, that the official language is English. I've
never read it's not allowed to use 'en' for config.language as a
translation (everyone is/was talking about "translations" -> so whats a
translation?).

Beside this parameter is just a string, you can use whatever you want as
a language key. Nothing is official defined.

Also it pure logic:
-> using 'de' -> l10n works
-> using 'ru' -> l10n works
-> using 'en' -> l10n doesn'work ??? -> keep in mind, its only an
undefined string.

 > English is the default language and the base language for translations
 > of labels. All English texts are already present in the core and in the
 > extensions. I really can't see the use of storing these texts yet again
 > as a "translation" into the same language.

Sure, every customer will be happy to use the label "Breaking news:" for
the latest header in tt_news

 > Or could I interest you in buying an English-English dictionary?

Of course:
en_US -> en_GB

...finally if I am removing this line (in 4.6, 4.7 & 6.0), would you
approve my commits?

Furthermore:
In general it would be more persistent to use only the official locales:
RFC 1766 and ISO 639, since it's used for config.locale_all already.

What do you think?