[TYPO3-core] Release Team meetings, feature freeze, 6.0 beta1 release, ...

Oliver Hader oliver.hader at typo3.org
Fri Aug 17 22:03:55 CEST 2012

Hi Jigal,

thanks for your attention and for bringing up that topic here.
Concerning the TYPO3 6.0 feature freeze, Helmut just posted a link in
this list that explains the steps and reasons for postponing beta1, see
http://typo3.org/news/article/new-release-date-for-typo3-60-beta1/

The reasons and topics that lead to the postponed feature freeze now,
have been discussed in this very list, the TYPO3 Core mailing list.
Thus, I don't think it was too hard to expect that some more work will
be required on areas like jQuery, namespaces, extension manager,
bootstrap, etc.

One major difference in the current release team to the prior release
managers is, that all of them are employed in companies and have the
obligation to do their daily workload - thus, the work for 6.0 basically
happens in the evenings and on weekends. Thus, the flexibility during
daytime is currently limited which makes it a bit more difficult to find
a common and recurring time to do meetings with about 8 participants.
However, I agree that this way is not optimal in communicating to the
outside, but does not mean there's no communication at all.

Besides that, there have been a lot of code sprints for TYPO3 6.0 during
the last two months (bootstrap, usability, extbase, security, packaging,
logging, namespaces) which means almost one sprint for approx 3 days
every second week. So, it's not like nothing happened at all and also
the results are put to our review system and thus are public.

I also agree that it really feels strange that Ingo asks on Twitter
what's going on - I thought it's clear that our official communication
channel for questions, discussions and announcements is this mailing
list, the TYPO3 Core mailing list - not Twitter nor Facebook...

By the way, Gerrit offers a great way to filter for pending features in
the master branch of the TYPO3 Core project by just using accordant
keywords, like:

https://review.typo3.org/#/q/status:open+project:TYPO3v4/Core+branch:master+message:FEATURE,n,z

Currently we (Susanne, Christian, Helmut and me) are meeting in Hannover
for three days to pick "low hanging fruits" from Gerrit - things that
are almost done but need some reviews. So, we do, what everybody else
can do - go to review.typo3.org, pick something and test/review it.

We're going to give an update tomorrow morning on the process and the
list of "major projects" taken from the last release team meeting your
referred to.

Cheers,
Olly

--