[TYPO3-core] Redirect to Shortcut target feature in 4.6 break news feed link

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Oct 4 20:47:42 CEST 2011

Jigal van Hemert schrieb am 02.10.2011 15:14:

> On 2-10-2011 11:25, Visay Keo wrote:
>> Since 4.6 beta1 add "Change I4199cb8c: [FEATURE] Redirect to Shortcut
>> target page", when entering the base url in the address bar it always
>> redirects to its target page when the root page is a shortcut.
> [...]
>> So my questions are:
>> - Why do we need this new feature?
>
> The old situation was that the same content was shown at the URL of the
> target page and at the URL of the shortcut page. Duplicate content is
> bad for SEO; many search engines will punish the ranking for a site
> which has duplicate content.

Just an off-topic side-note about this:

The "duplicate content penalty" from Google&Co is a myth. Since years
this myth enabled amateur so called "SEO experts" to finally find
something to do on sites where they had no idea what to further
optimize. They say "here you go: duplicate content => fix that FIRST!".

Here's a nice explanation about the "problem" you have with duplicate
content [1]. Article is in german, but the video from the Google Guy is
in English and very enlightening.

The canonical flag is indeed interesting, but only to inform the search
engines which URL to show when there are multiple ones that might have
been crawled.

Search engines penalize on *deliberate spamming*, not because CMSs might
generate different URLs for the same content (search engine engineers
know about *that*).

Cheers,
Ernesto

[1]