[TYPO3-core] Redirect to Shortcut target feature in 4.6 break news feed link

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 4 21:56:25 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 4-10-2011 20:47, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> Jigal van Hemert schrieb am 02.10.2011 15:14:
>
>> On 2-10-2011 11:25, Visay Keo wrote:
>>> Since 4.6 beta1 add "Change I4199cb8c: [FEATURE] Redirect to Shortcut
>>> target page", when entering the base url in the address bar it always
>>> redirects to its target page when the root page is a shortcut.
>> [...]
>>> So my questions are:
>>> - Why do we need this new feature?
>>
>> The old situation was that the same content was shown at the URL of the
>> target page and at the URL of the shortcut page. Duplicate content is
>> bad for SEO; many search engines will punish the ranking for a site
>> which has duplicate content.
>
> Just an off-topic side-note about this:
>
> The "duplicate content penalty" from Google&Co is a myth. Since years

I'm not a SEO expert (in fact I don't believe in SEO myself other than
producing relevant content). The mentioned change was related to issue
28322 [1], which was related to 15128 [2].
The text of the latter mentioned the search enging behaviour.

Thanks for clearing up the myth. Would you say that because this myth
the change should be reverted?

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/28322
[2] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/15128

--