[TYPO3-core] Gerrit and new review policy for TYPO3 v4 Core

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Mar 29 12:14:02 CEST 2011

François Suter schrieb am 29.03.2011 10:28:

>> We have indeed "discussed" the exact rules here, BTW:
>>
>> http://forge.typo3.org/issues/13468
>
> I was pointed there by Steffen Gebert, but hardly the way to start a
> discussion indeed, as it's rather "hidden" as an issue in some bug tracker.

This was meant to be discussed and decided by the Git Team at that time.
But during the code sprint migration it turned out that many things had
to be left "open" to be decided as-we-go based on the the experience.
But I thing this topic can now be brought to an end.

>> There is also a mapping from the old rules to the new scheme documented
>> there. Since it wasn't further discussed in the issue, I expect that it
>> hasn't been documented officially yet, which means it should. Is the
>> WIKI the right place for it? I documented it here for a start:
>>
>> http://wiki.typo3.org/Gerrit_Review_Workflow
>
> Better :-)
>
> I would change/enhance it the following way:
>
> - add the fact that the core developer who gave an early +1 should try
> and go back to transform the +1 into a +2 after a second review came in,
> if applicable.
> - move the part about the old rules to the bottom, in a separate
> section, in order to avoid confusion. People should read about the
> review process with Gerrit and learn how it maps to the old process only
> if interested.
> - mention that giving a +2 and submitting right away is acceptable for
> no-brainers (the equivalent of FYIs we had before). Or give yourself a
> +2 and wait a bit before submitting (equivalent to FIY24, FYI48, etc.).

Thanks for the comments. I restructured the page a bit, added your
comments to it and also a screenshot on how to "compare patches (under
practical considerations) in Gerrit to ease work of re-reviewing
requests you have already reviewed:

http://wiki.typo3.org/Gerrit_Review_Workflow

Cheers,
Ernesto