[TYPO3-core] hardcoded typo3 directory

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 17 11:52:58 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 17-7-2011 11:06, Steffen Gebert wrote:
>> There is the chapter "Changing the default “typo3/” directory" in
>> doc_core_inside. Coexisting hardcoded 'typo3/' in the core and this
>> chapter is misleading.
>>
>> I think one of two things should be done chapter removed or global
>> constants should be used. I don't know maybe information in the Coding
>> Guidelines.
>
> If typo3/ is hardcoded, instead of using TYPO3_mainDir, then it's a bug
> and should be fixed.

It can be seen as a bug, but IMO a very low priority one. The 'typo3'
directory is considered as a fact by most people and it can break quite
a few extensions.

> Nevertheless, renaming typo3/ is from my POV not a good advice, esp as
> you have to modify the constant in the TYPO3 Core files (which nobody
> should recommend!). To make this a useful and well implemented
> configuration option, there should be a way to change it through
> localconf.php. However, I don't know, if the constant is used before
> already (probably it is..).

I really wonder if it is a *useful* option. As said elsewhere, we're
already moving away from configuration to convention and things like
configuration for 'content table' (anyone using anything else but
'tt_content'??), 'fileadmin' directory, etc. could be removed IMO.

I'd vote for removing the chapter from the Inside TYPO3 documentation.
Constants with relative paths (such as 'TYPO3_mainDir') could be
deprecated IMO.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.