[TYPO3-core] RFC #17260: Bug: Installation of version/workspaces cannot be skipped in migration wizard

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon Jan 24 10:19:51 CET 2011

This is an SVN patch request.

Type: Bugfix

Bugtracker references:
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=17260

Branches:
Trunk

Problem:
With RFC #16935 the old "installVersioning" wizard was removed as it was
deemed redundant with the new "migrateWorkspaces" wizard. While this was
basically correct, a side effect is that it's not possible anymore to
skip this wizard. Of course, it's always possible to ignore a wizard,
but this might now be obvious for many users who might end up with
versioning activated even if the don't want/need it.

This bug must be solved before 4.5-final, I have already checked with
Ernesto.

Solution:
If neither "version" nor "workspaces" are installed, change the wizard
so that it does not behave as a migration script, but as an installation
script. In such a case present the user with the choice to skip this
update (by providing a check box just like other sysext
installation-related wizards).

Testing:
To view the new wizard option, you need a TYPO3 install with neither
"version" nor "workspaces" installed.
Please also test other configurations and see that you still get the
wizard's other behavior (i.e. upgrade with information about what to
upgrade).

Notes:
1) I made it so that if the user skips the activation of versioning, the
result is "Update successful". This is not the usual way the other
wizards work (they say they failed), although this is a usability bug.
What we should really have is a "skip" status. See:
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=12511

2) In the new texts I introduced I mostly mentioned only "workspaces"
and not always "versioning and workspaces" (which is already the title
of the wizard anyway). Do you think this is ok or should we be very
strict and always say "versioning and workspaces"?

3) This patch also corrects a typo: the "sys_workspace_stage" was
spelled "sys_workspace_stages" (note the trailing "s") in method
getWorkspacesWithoutStages().

Cheers

--
Francois Suter