[TYPO3-core] RFC: #17193 Plupload should support overwriting of files

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Sat Jan 22 00:33:27 CET 2011

Hi,

I've just tested the patch and plupload together with Steffen. He
already made some adjustments.

General Feeling
===============
* Why is the window called "File Upload Progress"? ;-)

HTML5 engine
============

* uploading huge files (100s MB): upload is made completely, although
every size limit is exceeded. thus it can't succeed.
However, it's not possible to cancel an upload (neither using the trash,
nor the "Cancel all uploads" button).
After closing the window and reopening, I see that it is *still* uploading.

* there's no reinitialization after uploading, closing, reopening. Start
upload button is already enabled and I think a few more other side effects.

* uploading files > size limit: it was often not recognized that the
file is too big. If it's recognized, everything is okay (error message +
no upload tried). Otherwise, upload is made and fails with Internal
Server Error. However, there's *no* error handling for this case. So the
response of the upload should somehow be checked.

* drag&drop label is missing and - way more important - it accepts files
of every size without an error message (always)

* the file being currently uploaded is marked as "queued". should be
"uploading"

HTML4 engine
============
* Basically works, of course, no sizes shown.

* JS  error
 > input is null
 > input.setAttribute('name', up.settings.file_data_name);
 > in plupload.html4.js line 1031

* Uploading files bigger than the limit fails silently

Flash
=====

untested yet

Conclusion
==========

Sorry, plupload is still not in a state, in which it should be for an
RC, aka. "the golden master".

I'm unsure, if all the issues (and I'm pretty sure there are more with
Flash! <- especially with this bastard!) can be fixed in time (means:
Wednesday, should be: yesterday). If this would be the only thing, which
is still open.. maybe. However this is not the case.

So please count this as a veto against a further integration of plupload
with version 4.5.

I'm sure, it will rock with 4.6 and FAL and we can make use of the great
features, which it provides (showing thumbnails prior to upload, adding
meta-data, etc).
That's why we have short release cycles: That nobody has to be too sad,
if a feature cannot be included due to whatever reason, but can be fixed
with a bit more time.

Kind regards
Steffen

--