[TYPO3-core] RFC #17001: Spelling HTML5

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Jan 14 14:40:10 CET 2011

Jigal van Hemert schrieb am 14.01.2011 14:36:
> Hi,
>
> On 14-1-2011 13:35, Sebastian Michaelsen wrote:
>> Type: Typo, Bug
>
> It's definitely not a typo...
>
>> With config.doctype = html_5 you can render your Website as a HTML5
>> document. What hurts me every time when I use this is the underscore.
>> Please try the following. Type "typo_3". Does it hurt? You know how I
>> feel ;)
>
> I don't see the relationship to the brand name "TYPO3", but the reason
> for the underscore is obvious:
>
> xhtml_trans, xhtml_frames, xhtml_strict, xhtml_basic, xhtml_11, xhtml_2,...
>
> Isn't it more confusing for integrators/administrators to use a new
> doctype name without an underscore?
> I honestly don't see the reason for an extra option in two major
> versions, deprecation and the whole circus for this.

I see the reason, which we discussed in the bug day's IRC channel:
"html5" is the official name of that protocol (see [1]), while XHTML and
HTML had a space after their name "XHTML Transitional", "HTML 4.0" or
"XHTML 1.1".

So while it might be consistent throughout the other options, "html5" is
the natural name someone expects to enter for this option "doctype = html5".

Cheers,
Ernesto

[1] http://blog.whatwg.org/spelling-html5