[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #16919: Catalan flag is replaced by Canadian flag

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Jan 14 14:09:23 CET 2011

Jigal van Hemert schrieb am 14.01.2011 13:00:
> Hi,
>
> On 14-1-2011 11:31, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>> Jigal, that is the source of the confusion that we are trying to
>> tackle!! Our flags are NOT LANGUAGE flags, they are COUNTRY flags.
>> Country "ca" = Canada. Please don't bring in that confusion again. :)
>
> If you mean that the flags are *currently* country flags and not
> language flags, then that is true.
>
> Everywhere in TYPO3 the flags are used for languages; I see three
> solutions:
>
> 1. Create an API which can translate language codes (like the recently
> introduced 'qc') to the appropriate flag name and can translate country
> codes to the appropriate flag name
>
> 2. Use only language flags (rename everything to language codes)
>
> 3. Use two sets of flags, one for languages, one for countries
>
> Because of the feature freeze I would say that 1. is not possible for
> 4.5 (unless...). 2. seems rather strange and 3. is a bit of an overkill

The flags are country flags and have no relation to language codes per
se. If you set up a language, you create a "sys_language" record, which
is the only link a language code has to a "flag icon" => every site can
have its own "connection" between them (e.g. decide if "English" will be
the GB or the US flag, same for Portuguese, etc).

Only change in 4.5 so far is that we have now much more flags than we
had before.

Introducing an API for a static mapping (language => flag icon) in core
is very easy, but then we will have a *huge* task of creating the
mapping. Requires lots of expertise, will probably require lots of new
flags (e.g. languages which are not represented by some specific country
/ region) and research work. Apart of course the controversy that such
static mapping would generate (english = US or GB flag? portuguese =
brazilian or portuguese flag?) etc.

So I don't think this is a task we can easily achieve. SteffenK will
think about "something" because he would like to have the flags in the
New EM (and they look neat, although wrong), but... its not only a
technical solution that we need, as explained above. :)

Cheers,
Ernesto