[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #16919: Catalan flag is replaced by Canadian flag

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Jan 14 10:33:41 CET 2011

Alexandre Gravel-Raymond schrieb am 14.01.2011 10:10:
> Hi,
>
> Le 14/01/2011 09:40, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] a écrit :
>> I was holding back on that still because something's not right with it,
>> and I wasn't able to figure it out yet.
>>
>> See attachment on how the result is now in Web>List, when creating a
>> sys_language record with the "Canada" (ca) flag and one with the
>> "Catalonia" (catalonia) flag. They are now wrong, while they were ok
>> until rev 10066.
>>
>> So something is missing in this patch still.
>
> Yes ! As I said, I did not manage to include the file renames in the patch.
>
> So, in addition to the patch (that was commited as-is as I can see), we
> have to rename the following flags :
>
> (in typo3\sysext\t3skin\images\flags\) :
> - ca.png -> canada.png
> - ca-overlay -> canada-overlay.png
> - catalonia.png -> ca.png
> - catalonia-overlay -> ca-overlay.png
>
> I think it should be OK then.

Thanks for the pointer, Alexandre! Now I see why this is all wrong to
start with:

The "flags" in TYPO3 core are 2-letter ISO codes for the *countries*,
not languages! In sys_language, they have to be manually linked to a
language. The misuse as "language 2 char code" as a "language code"
(like done in the new EM) is wrong.

The same situation can be seen now in the EM for "Arabic", which has the
"Argentinian" (ar) flag, "Chinese" having the Swiss flag (ch) and many
more which I might not even recognize spontaneously.

So I would say we keep the flag system using the 2 letter ISO code of
the country and a speaking name for "regions" (like "catalonia"), and
then make the EM use some kind of mapping from a "language" to a "flag".
The mapping could be located in t3skin, which is the one that ships with
these flags. I'll try to come up with a patch for it later on.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Ernesto