[TYPO3-core] RFC Bug #16966: be_layout setting "none" is not working and be_layout should not be inherited automatically

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Wed Jan 12 11:27:34 CET 2011

> I agree that the new concept is argueable but it should be possible to
> configure which concept should be used with preference on the
> old/TV-behaviour.
>
> Its about user expirience and not if its "annoying". So please dont
> confuse the users that are already working with TV.

Exactly that's the point: User experience!

People who are working with TemplaVoila have been forced into behaviours
that are completely different from the default behaviour of the core
modules. Now that they are used to this extension's deviant behaviour,
we just can't take care of that while improving the user experience of
the core itself.

The Grid View is NOT TemplaVoila - it's an improved page module that
offers people to view the backend in a layout that can reflect their
frontend layout or maybe another structure they need for their daily
work. And it won't even work together with TV, since it's the working
with the original page module only.

As I already explained, the behaviour of TV regarding inheritance of
layouts is annoying, because it forces you into more steps than
necessary to get to the same results. And it renders the TypoScript
levelfield slide concept useless, because you always have to check two
different fields in any record of the root line.

The goal of the T3UXW was to improve the overall usability and we have
just kicked stuff people were used to in many places. Especially Jens
encouraged us to just get rid of stuff we are used to and replace it
with something better. While testing the results, first people
complained, but then they noticed that it was easier to understand and
faster to work with the new stuff.

This is why the Grid View will not just be a copy of old school TV
behaviour but something new.

So my advice is: Get used to it and you will like it!

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de