[TYPO3-core] RFC #17544: FIRST_INSTALL has no effect when typo3conf is not writable

Peter Beernink p.beernink at drecomm.nl
Tue Feb 22 20:21:17 CET 2011

Hi,

On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 10:06 +0100, François Suter wrote:
> I don't see the difference with or without the patch. I still get the
> same error message. I suppose you have copied it from another place. I
> think the patch is basically correct, but the message needs to be
> changed. It is too technical at that point. Newcomers to TYPO3 should
> not be bothered with technical details about some file that needs to be
> created. Attached v2 does this.
The message was slightly different, but indeed it was copied from an
other part of the code.

> That being said, I'm not sure this is such a good solution. If the
> proper rights are not set anyway, you don't much further: after having
> changed the rights to "typo3conf", you get an error about "typo3temp"
> not being writable. The real solution IMO is to check upfront that all
> necessary folders and files have the proper rights and inform the user
> about problems. This way the user is bothered only once with this access
> rights stuff.
>
> I'm not sure if such a change would be acceptable in the 4.5 branch. I
> think it should be done as it is the basis for the current Introduction
> Package.

As I didn't want to introduce new functionality in the install tool I
choose this option.
I agree that for 4.6 it would be nicer to have a complete check before
starting the install tool.
I'll try to create a patch for trunk next week with a complete check on
directories.

Greets,
Peter