[TYPO3-core] RFC #16318: Enable FlashMessages to fade out after delay

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Sat Nov 13 21:13:03 CET 2010

Ingo Renner wrote:

Hi Steffen and Helmut,

>> Solution:
>> This change introduces two new methods for t3lib_FlashMessage:
>> * setDisappear()
>> * setDisappearDelay()
>> which make a t3lib_FlashMessage ExtJS-driven.
>
> without having had a look at you patch yet...

I now found some time to have a look at the patch. Good job! However, I
think the approach is not quite in line with what I had in mind when
initially introducing the flash messages.

Steffen's flash messages at the top of the TYPO3 backend are a great
tool, but they must be used carefully I'd say as they are rather
notifications I'd say.

So what I had in mind again: We know the flash messages above TCEforms
f.e. which tell us about a successful or failed operation. For these I
wanted to have the positive ones ("OK") fade out.

For your case which create the fading messages at the TYPO3 backend's
top, I'd rather suggest to extend t3lib_FlashMessage as
t3lib_NotificationMessage.

I'm currently reworking the patch so that it fits with the idea of
fading out the messages as described. I'll also fix some wording /
naming of variables and methods along the way.

Helmut, for the issue with the messages in the install tool and other
places I figured that this won't be a too big issue: All the relevant
flash messages which may fade out are sent through
t3lib_FlashMessageQueue, so this is the easiest way to tackle that
issue, by having the queue take care of fading messages out...

All the best
Ingo

--
Ingo Renner