[TYPO3-core] RFC #14490: New Backend design

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu May 27 14:18:00 CEST 2010

>>>    Fallback definitions have to defined during RCs as soon we can
>>> destinguish between browsers
>>
>> -1 because you already know that you will need fallback definitions
>> - you should remove any stuff that needs a fallback OR use the
>> fallback for each
>> browser instead of the so called "modern" stuff to avoid a
>> maintenance nightmare
> Okay, let's stay in the last millenium till 2014. Come on, you always
> need some different CSS for IE.

If you do it properly, you won't in most of the cases.

And BTW: I thought your goal was to make the BE *look* better.
This doesn't necessarily mean that you have to use CSS3 techniques to
achieve that goal, when the official policy is, that TYPO3 will run with IE6
as a "client".

>>> * Doesn't look nice in IE (but works!). Please test in a modern
>>> browser to see all goodies,
>>>    which work out of the box (as already mentioned, fallback will
>>> come later on). Reference: FF3.6
>>
>> -1 for applying a patch now that doesn't work for all supported
>> browsers yet. Experience from the past shows, that many things won't
>> be fixed before the next stable release and you all remember what
>> happened to IE8 users last time.
> Your support is welcome! But you already announced that you and your
> cleanup project will fix the issues, didn't you..

In this case the "fix" of these issues will be: Removing the CSS3 stuff and
replacing it with CSS2 stuff that is working for all browsers supported by
TYPO3. So why should I accept a patch then, that introduces a lot of
unnecessary stuff, that would be removed later on anyway.

These are the rules we will stick to while cleaning up the code:
http://forge.typo3.org/wiki/backend-cleanup/Definition_of_"Hack"

BTW: I still doubt that a lot of identical data:url encoded images will be
significantly faster than delivering one real image that can be taken from
cache for each following instance.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de