[TYPO3-core] RFC #14490: New Backend design

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Fri May 28 18:52:03 CEST 2010

Hey Joey,

does your -1 still apply?

  * all CSS3 - data: base64 things are resolved.
  * no additional "hacks", just the ones we had before.
  * CSS3 used only for shadows, gradients, and rounded corners. All with
nice fallbacks for non-compatible browsers, ready to go. There is *no*
break in functionality because of CSS3. I personally like it the way it
is now (technology-wise).

As for all CSS3 stuff, I'm glad we have discussions to reach maximum
backwards-compatibility, and keep the high standards with TYPO3 but
still can enhance the TYPO3 backend big time.

So, I think CSS3 is fine as long as there is no big change for the IE
users. Same goes for the PNG fix btw, which we have in the backend since
4.2. So, I see the same reasoning here, however the "fallback" is not
that it takes longer to load (as with the PNG fix) but that the design
is missing.

We basically now have five options:

  * Keep CSS3 styles, and have the fallbacks for IE (doesn't recoginze
the CSS3 statements)
  * Keep CSS3 styles, add a separate stylesheet for IE and have it there
done with backgrounds etc
  * Make everything with backgrounds, additional markup may be needed.
  * Add the missing CSS-features dynamically through JS (if possible)
for the browser who don't support it.
  * Remove the CSS3 styles, not going with any of the new visual
features from the designers

All the best,
Benni.