[TYPO3-core] RFC #14185: Bug: In TCA (tt_content) the fe_groups field is not placed correctly under the Access Tab

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu May 6 21:34:45 CEST 2010

Hi,

> I had to read this some times to understand your concern here, but I
> have to disagree with you here (if I understand what you expressed
> correctly - if not, please let me know).
>
> Most editors doesn't even know what version of TYPO3 they are using!

My concern here is not about the editors. I'm concerned about extension
developers.

Imagine that you have developed a new content element type. With the
mainpalette mechanism, you don't have to worry about placing the
fe_group field in your element type's showitem property.

If the fe_group field is moved to an "Access" tab in the Core, that tab
will not exist for content element types added by extensions, unless
developers update their extension. And I don't think it's a good idea to
do that in a maintenance release.

> After all, the field should be positioned on the Access tab 99% of times
> already and some might find it confusing that it is not in some
> situations right now. How about them? Should we keep them confused by
> keeping the bug in there?

I fully agree that an "Access" tab makes sense for content elements too,
as it matches most other records throughout the TYPO3 Core. But I would
make the change only as of TYPO3 4.4 and add a notice for extension
developers in NEWS.txt.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter