[TYPO3-core] RFC #14185: Bug: In TCA (tt_content) the fe_groups field is not placed correctly under the Access Tab

Lars Houmark lars at houmark.com
Thu May 6 21:21:06 CEST 2010

Hi Francois,

François Suter wrote:

> While I agree with this patch in general (having already raised the
> issue of mainpalette in the past), it represents a change in behavior
> and I don't think that it should be applied to 4.3. Indeed the whole
> point of mainpalette is that it appears last. This makes it weird with
> tabs, because it is always in the last tab, no matter how they are
> arranged. However the advantage, in the case of tt_content, is that it
> means the fe_group field will always be shown even if one introduce a
> new type of content element via an extension. With this change, new
> content element types risk losing the display of the fe_group field on a
> minor release update.

I had to read this some times to understand your concern here, but I
have to disagree with you here (if I understand what you expressed
correctly - if not, please let me know).

Most editors doesn't even know what version of TYPO3 they are using!

For most of my clients, I don't even tell them when I have upgraded to a
new major version. They figure it out just fine and if not we'll give
them the help they need. I am sure any admin is capable of figuring out
a field have "moved" from it's wrong tab back to it's correct position.

After all, the field should be positioned on the Access tab 99% of times
already and some might find it confusing that it is not in some
situations right now. How about them? Should we keep them confused by
keeping the bug in there?

Sometimes backwards compatibility on this level can lead into serious
side-effects imho.

--
Lars Houmark