[TYPO3-core] RFC #13379: Sprite Icon API

Thomas Allmer at at delusionworld.com
Mon May 3 12:48:18 CEST 2010

On 03.05.2010 07:57, Steffen Ritter wrote:
> Am 03.05.2010 01:59, schrieb Thomas Allmer:
>> attached is a patch to improve it a little more. Do you need a separate
>> Bug Tracker Entry for something like this?
>
> I think it just could be a follow up...
>
> +1 reading and testing so far
>
> Some Note to:
>> - there seem to be some icons which have a "wrong" name for example
>> "status-user-admin" should probably be "mimetypes-x-user-admin"... where
>> to discuss such things?
> I also found out that there is some inconsistency in naming scheme, but
> some overlays / css or single icons do not match the icons which should
> be displayed the css has to be overworked a bit, we simply could clean
> this up to...
>
>  > - added "typeicon_classes" for various types; be_user, be_groups...
>
> well, I do not really an additional config parameter, since it is not
> really needed (besides the special cases in the pages table).
>
> If we would get around about our inconsistencies you named above, and
> introduce a clear namingscheme (as dann in the helper function for tca
> which does not have this array set) we would not need the configuration.
> It just would be "convention". I think we have to discuss this, if we
> would bother extension authors with just another tca option.

hmm, I guess if you just have one icon it's pretty clear/easy what to
select and but for more icons like in be_groups I guess you will never
get as nice names as this (if you want to auto configure)

'typeicon_classes' => array(
	'0' => 'status-user-group-backend',
	'1' => 'status-user-group-backend-list',
),

and I guess we don't want names like "status-be_group-0" and
"status-be_group-1". [again I think it should not be status but
mimetypes...]

currently we have to define the icons in the TCA with 'typeicons' then
it would be 'typeicon_classes'...

Yeah I agree with you it should be easier, but I'm not sure how... as we
need nice names. Maybe we find a good solution using the sprite
generator... For now I think we should try to set it manually for all
the core stuff (where we have control over). For extension maybe offer
the possibility to auto configure but still make it possible to manually
set it...

> since the "mimetypes-x" is the responsible one for including the sprite,
> i think it should sound mimetypes-core-, so that the generatore api
> (whatever it may be) could genereate mimetypes-extkey, or as of now
> tcarecords-extkey

hmm, yeah it would need a good naming convention, for now we tried to use
http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html

but yeah we may need to adopt some stuff..

> P.S: With Benni I thought about an SpriteGenerator API which aims to
> fullfill all the different "points" the (in fact for uxw team really
> disappointing) discussion "Suggestions for triggering BE sprite
> generation" in dev-list brought up, and deals with the gap between
> current typo3 icon handling, single and configurable icons on the one
> hand, and the new nice and handy sprite-icon-api.
> You may have a look at project.v4 list.

oh, another list I didn't realized so far... will take a look