[TYPO3-core] RFC #14184: Bug: Scheduler: Scheduler cannot handle large Exceptions

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Jun 11 16:08:39 CEST 2010

This is an SVN patch request.

Type: Bugfix

Bugtracker references:
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=14184

Branches:
4.3 and trunk

Problem:
When a task fails, the corresponding exception object is stored in the
database for later retrieval of the failure message in the BE module.
Said module doesn't currently check whether the object was unserialized
successfully or not.

Solution:
Check the result of unseriliazation and display a default error message
if it failed.

Steps to reproduce:
Make a task fail (just throw an exception inside a task). Move to your
database and mangle the content of the "lastexecution_failure" field, so
that unserialization fails. The BE module should display a message
saying that the error could not be retrieved when hovering over the
failure bullet.

Notes:
1) IIRC we're not supposed to add new localized strings to existing
versions, but I don't see how I can avoid that in this case.

2) the problem originally occurred when the exception was too large to
be stored in the database field. In the bug tracker entry it was decided
not to increase the field size, but the potential unserialization error
has to be caught anyway. If someone really needs a larger field, I
propose to make a separate RFC for it.

Cheers

--
Francois Suter