[TYPO3-core] RFC #14184: Bug: Scheduler: Scheduler cannot handle large Exceptions

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Sat Jun 12 16:07:20 CEST 2010

François Suter wrote:
> Branches:
> 4.3 and trunk

Patch didn't apply to trunk (because of #13315), attached a new one.

> Solution:
> Check the result of unseriliazation and display a default error message
> if it failed.

+1 on reading and testing.

> Notes:
> 1) IIRC we're not supposed to add new localized strings to existing
> versions, but I don't see how I can avoid that in this case.

Maybe we should only commit to 4.3 if Oliver approves #13315, too.

> 2) the problem originally occurred when the exception was too large to
> be stored in the database field. In the bug tracker entry it was decided
> not to increase the field size, but the potential unserialization error
> has to be caught anyway. If someone really needs a larger field, I
> propose to make a separate RFC for it.

BTW: We found it's good practice to not implement the tasks business
logic in the task class itself, but instead let the execute() method
just makeInstance() some other class and feed it with the additional
field values (eg. by constructor arguments). This way you are not forced
to delete & add or resave a task if the business logic code has own
class variables (which are otherwise serialized in the task instance,
and must be refreshed upon code change). So, encapsulating the task
logic in an own class simplifies development and deployment of changes a
lot. Maybe this could be documented somewhere?

Regards
Christian