[TYPO3-core] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RFC#14546: Cleanup: IE 6 does not support alpha-transparent-pngs which looks "&%/§$%&" with sprites

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Sat Jun 5 17:07:19 CEST 2010

> - I read the policy was that the core provides a method to detect the
> browser (version), but will not use it.

Which is partly true.
The core provides a method to detect the browser (version) which can be used by extension developers who need it for their FE-output.
The core itself will use it only, when there is definitely no other option to solve a certain problem, because the policy is: Stuff that works X-browser must be preferred.

i.e.: Since the decision has been made to work with transparent PNGs although IE6 doesn't support them, we need a JS based PNG fix that should be loaded only, when the browser is IE6. In this case there is no other option (unless we would go back to GIF icons) so we have to go for browser detection.

The goal is to have as much as possible of the core working X-browser without the need for any browser detection, conditional comments and/or hacks.

Hope this clarified it a bit

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de