[TYPO3-core] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RFC#14546: Cleanup: IE 6 does not support alpha-transparent-pngs which looks "&%/§$%&" with sprites

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 5 20:18:52 CEST 2010

JoH asenau wrote:
>> - I read the policy was that the core provides a method to detect
>> the browser (version), but will not use it.
>
> Which is partly true. The core provides a method to detect the
> browser (version) which can be used by extension developers who need
> it for their FE-output. The core itself will use it only, when there
> is definitely no other option to solve a certain problem, because the
> policy is: Stuff that works X-browser must be preferred.

That is the complete version :-) Thank you!

The dilemma is now a bit simpler
- use the new and shiny t3lib_utility_Client::getBrowserInfo()
- use conditional comments

For IE6-8 related things in the head I'd personally use conditional
comments. The reason is simply that no matter what the guys in Redmond
decide to do with the user agent string in future versions yea olde IE6
will always recognize these conditional comments.

But I would not lose any sleep over it if getBrowserInfo() would be used :-)

--
Jigal van Hemert
skype:jigal.van.hemert
msn: jigal at xs4all.nl