[TYPO3-core] RFC#15122: Bug: Icons for users in page tree are inconsistent

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Jul 26 12:37:47 CEST 2010

Hi!

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> at design meeting we came to a different conclusion: if somthing is
> inherited to subpages, the line color of the tree should change to
> indicate this.

Well, this tells the user that something is different but does not give any
idea what is different. I think this approach is flowed. It creates a
Christmas tree instead of solution...

> indeed the small area is not easy to identify. It even gets harder if a
> page has many indicators like shortcut, user, hidden etc.
> Jens wanted to come with a solution, but didn't happened yet.

I think it would be too much to add all these overlays. Suppose if the page is:
- a shortcut
- user-protected
- has sub-pages
- being edited by another user

This would be a big mess I think :)

In my opinion most of these indicators are not really needed in the tree.
For example, I would remove indication of subpages. It is not needed at all
because we have a "+" sign in the tree. I would also remove "being edited"
because it is visible in page properties. Current approach takes user's
attention to the page edited by another user even if he does not want to
edit it himself => unnecessary distraction, which should be eliminated.

I would keep only indication of user–protected pages. If we really want to
indicate other page properties, a half–transparent (!) set of icons aligned
to the very right of the page tree. It should show status of the page when
user presses "Alt" and hovers over the page title in the tree. The
advantage of this approach is that user can see these statuses only when he
needs them. "Alt" is essential because we do not want those icons to appear
on every hover (it would be distraction again).

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security teams member