[TYPO3-core] RFC #13645: Bug and Cleanup: t3lib_div::formatSize should use IEC prefixes and appropriate units

Sigfried Arnold s.arnold at rebell.at
Thu Feb 25 12:48:12 CET 2010

Am 25.02.2010 11:42, schrieb Martin Kutschker:
> Weeell, that probably depends on how you see it. For me this is wrong, because I like the old
> traditional way that "abuses" SI prefixes. So I expect any byte value to use M but calculate with
> 1024. So for me the HD manufactures lie.

HDD manufacturers state the calculation base in every single datasheet -
so they don' lie, people just (can't|don't) read.

> The traditional way is to use SI but calculate with 1024.

Thats not true too :)

For example, 1.44 MB for a floppy disk has (formated) exaclty 1474560
bytes of capacity. So neither 1.44 MiB nor 1.44 MB (SI) is correct for
the capacity since the calculation was done with both bases - wich
leaded to confusion.

So a floppy disk got 1,40 MiB (IEC), 1,47 MB (SI) or 1,44 MB (traditional).

Another example: datarates were allways calculated in base 1000. So 10
MB/s is not equivalent to copy 10 MiB/MB (10485760 bytes) in one second
- its equivalent to copy 10000000 bytes in one second.

> As long as I can stick to that I'm fine with any change. *

Thats why i suggested option C, its very easy to expand the
configuration array of my patch by a new set of values - so everyone
could be satisfied.

> But I won't stop using TYPO3 if the majority here thinks that the IEC prefixes are the way to go
> (with any option to change it at all).

Option C with "traditional" calculation is an option too, won't change
anything for the enduser but still is more flexible and of course the
code is more scaleable.