[TYPO3-core] RFC #13645: Bug and Cleanup: t3lib_div::formatSize should use IEC prefixes and appropriate units

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Thu Feb 25 11:42:41 CET 2010

Sigfried Arnold schrieb:
> Am 25.02.2010 11:03, schrieb Martin Kutschker:
>> "Everyone" knows that bytes are supposed to be used with a base of
>> 1024. There is IMHO no need to
>> invent a Xi prefix. I don't like the IEC prefixes and will never use
>> them.
>
> Thats simply not true.
>
> Example: All[sic!] harddisk manufacurers calculate with base 1000 and
> use correct SI prefixes for them.

Weeell, that probably depends on how you see it. For me this is wrong, because I like the old
traditional way that "abuses" SI prefixes. So I expect any byte value to use M but calculate with
1024. So for me the HD manufactures lie.

> So again: is there any rational and technial point (besides "it sucks"
> or "i don't like it") for not using a Standard (SI or IEC)?

The traditional way is to use SI but calculate with 1024. As long as I can stick to that I'm fine
with any change. *

But I won't stop using TYPO3 if the majority here thinks that the IEC prefixes are the way to go
(with any option to change it at all).

Masi

* There are three options to choose from: correct SI, correct IEC and traditional.