[TYPO3-core] RFC #13645: Bug and Cleanup: t3lib_div::formatSize should use IEC prefixes and appropriate units

Sigfried Arnold s.arnold at rebell.at
Thu Feb 25 11:22:24 CET 2010

Am 25.02.2010 11:03, schrieb Martin Kutschker:
> "Everyone" knows that bytes are supposed to be used with a base of 1024. There is IMHO no need to
> invent a Xi prefix. I don't like the IEC prefixes and will never use them.

Thats simply not true.

Example: All[sic!] harddisk manufacurers calculate with base 1000 and
use correct SI prefixes for them.

And as i stated: if you dont like them, option A or C will provide an
option for people like you.

For example: i don't like kW, i guess most people think so and would
prefer PS (bph) instead - but kW is simply the unified standardized unit
for power, so in technical terms it should (must, according to the EU
directive 80/181/EEC) be used.

Also some people don't like to write valide HTML and don't understand,
why it's so important. With HTML5 there is no need to write valid HTML
anymore (because of the errorhandling) - but in technical context it's
still essential to use standards and be able to rely on them.

So again: is there any rational and technial point (besides "it sucks"
or "i don't like it") for not using a Standard (SI or IEC)?