[TYPO3-core] RFC: #13444: Filemounts are unsorted

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Sat Feb 6 20:22:43 CET 2010

Hey JoH :-)

> But it's kind of "manual sorting" then, because AFAIR groups are assigned in
> CSV lists.
> So the group order will influence the mount order.

That is right and perhaps fine if your editors have some 2 to five filemounts. Then it can make sense to have a primary
group that has a filemount and because that one is the most important one, it might be handy to have it on top even if
this is against any user experience from other applications where files and folders are sorted alphabetically.

BUT, and this a serious issue: in larger installations where one user might end up with some 12 to 15 filemounts. Then
the current ordering system becomes very confusing! I can judge this because I am working on a dayly basis as an editor,
and in this role I have 12 filemounts. I am NOT the only one in this situation, but the only one with admin rights, so
my solution for myself was reordering my groups. But I cannot do this for some 300-500 users!

Conclusion: If a user has only two or three filemounts it does not really matter in which order they are. If he/she has
more, alphabtical ordering is the most transparent and coherent way.

> As Masi already pointed out, this must be a new feature anyway.
> So +1 for this one in trunk, if the original sorting will still be an
> option.

I count this as a bug. And I disagree that this is something a user has to influence to get what he/she gets in other
applications.

Kind regards, Uschi (looking forward to t3dd)