[TYPO3-core] RFC #16842: Add Canadian French language to TYPO3 core

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sun Dec 26 18:30:53 CET 2010

Hi,

Good to see that the "qc" solution was finally adopted and that Québec
French can finally enter TYPO3 officially, although it is of course
suboptimal as it should really be a variant of French.

> Should we add all the other languages and language/country combinations
> in the world at the same time? Dutch (Belgium), French (Switzerland),
> English (Great-Britain), English (United States), etc.

No, we shouldn't, as TYPO3 does not know how to handle language variants
(hence the use of "qc" instead of "fr_CA"). Neither does the translation
server. It would of course be great if both did, but it seems like no
one - until now - was sufficiently motivated to tackle the issue.
Support in the core would probably not be very complicated. Improving
the language server is far more complicated, as languages and their
variants need to be related together. I think nobody dares touch the
translation server because the to-do list is daunting. The latest try
was a GSoC project 2 years ago, but it led nowhere unfortunately.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter