[TYPO3-core] RFC: #12368: Context menu of page tree does not work anymore

Oliver Hader oliver at typo3.org
Wed Nov 4 00:20:44 CET 2009

Hi,

Steffen Kamper schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> as all considered that alt_main is broken since 4_2 (why does that comes
> in the table now and not earlier?) i removed this line completely.
>
> Further i will make a patch where alt_main will be removed from possible
> interfaces. I would say we leave the file in core until we migrated some
> of the features to backend.php, as Bernhard mentioned. This can be done
> for 4.4 where alt_main can be removed completely.
>
> This has also be communicated in NEWS.txt so this is the official policy.

Hm, the whole story is not good since the cleaner backend project just
moved the focus away from alt_main in TYPO3 4.2. So, this is not a
problem that was introduced in TYPO3 4.3 and could be fixed in TYPO3
4.2.11 as well (if it will be at all).

The first comment block in alt_main.php states the following:
"This file is deprecated since TYPO3 4.2 and will be removed with TYPO3 4.4"

The question is, how much work has to be put into fixing these issues
and if alt_main.php is currently used by a large user base. Besides that
one valid thing are the features that existed in alt_main.php and don't
in backend.php as Bernhard pointed out.

In the bugtracker I could not find that many issues by searching for
"alt_main" or "old backend".

However, if a fix to get it working again would be easy, let's do it. If
it is difficult and would result in some more days of fixing something
that is hardly used, let's keep alt_main.php but remove the "official
traces" (interfaces selector, etc.) to it.

olly
--
Oliver Hader
TYPO3 Release Manager 4.3