[TYPO3-core] RFC: #11368: ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL file should be ignored if older than one hour

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Jun 23 15:05:15 CEST 2009

Michael Stucki wrote: on 23.06.2009 13:44:

>> But call the "unlink" with @ to avoid a warning if it fails, because I
>> guess many will simply create the file as "root" (on development
>> machines) to avoid it from being deleted by the webserver. :)
>
> I think it's a bad habit and we should stop suppressing warnings.
> Reason: No warning is displayed as long as display_errors is turned off.
> However, if the error is suppressed, also the error_log won't indicate
> any errors.
>
> Prove me wrong but otherwise I'll better keep the unlink call without
> the "@".

I think that we have several use-cases already for "always on
installer". At least on development machines, I have it enabled all the
time. The environments are on the LAN and they of also have
displayErrors set to 1.

So my idea would be to "lock" the ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL file with chattr
(Steffen is right, it can be deleted even if owned by root) but then I
will end up getting warnings on every install-tool-hit.

How else can I can force to keep install tool "active" all the time? I
confess I haven't figured out what the conclusion of this thread was,
maybe my use-case is already covered someway.

Cheers,
Ernesto