[TYPO3-core] RFC #9745: Add INSTALL.txt to TYPO3 source package

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Wed Feb 11 17:06:32 CET 2009

Hi!

Michael Stucki wrote:
> +- AllowOverride in Apache configuration at least to allow "Indexes"
>
> To be precise, it must be "Indexes" or "None". None means, don't check
> for any .htaccess files. Everything else but "None" will trigger an
> error if "Indexes" is not listed. So either one or the other.

"None" is possible. But I am still for having "at least" there. I have my reasons and here they are.

"at least" exists because admins can allow other overrides. Your versions will raise questions whether other overrides can be added or it can be only "Index" or "None". My version does not raise such questions. So my version is more precise in fact :)

> +The following configuration is recommended:
>
> That is almost the same section again. I would remove the duplicate
> lines and just mention the differences instead.

1. This document is normative. Normative documents do not list differences, they list a complete set of requirements.
2. There are two distinct sections: minimum and recommended. Forcing users to read two sections instead of one is not good.
3. Having incomplete sections are likely to cause user errors.

Therefore I do not think we should do any differences but have complete sections as it is now. I carefully thought about that.

> Finally, an IMPORTANT note: Do NOT commit this document to any of the
> release branches! I first need to fix the packaging script, otherwise
> things might fail during the next release...

RFC says "Branches: trunk" ;)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team