[TYPO3-core] RFC #9745: Add INSTALL.txt to TYPO3 source package

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Feb 11 16:53:16 CET 2009

Hi Dmitry,

> Problem: TYPO3 sources lack INSTALL.txt
>
> Solution: add such file
>
> Notes: - this file obsoletes the file in the "dummy" package - the
> content of this file was discussed a lot in the 4.3 list. Now we need
> formal two votes for it.

I looked over it and have a few remarks:

+- PHP 5.2.0 or newer with the following extensions:

It may be confusing that some extensions are compiled in already (e.g.
on Debian) and don't need to be loaded explicitely.

I would add this part therefore:
"Check your phpinfo(); page to see which extensions are already loaded
on your system."

+- AllowOverride in Apache configuration at least to allow "Indexes"

To be precise, it must be "Indexes" or "None". None means, don't check
for any .htaccess files. Everything else but "None" will trigger an
error if "Indexes" is not listed. So either one or the other.

+The following configuration is recommended:

That is almost the same section again. I would remove the duplicate
lines and just mention the differences instead.

The rest seems fine, but I miss one important note:
Please add a link to the Security Cookbook on how to make the system
more secure. It is available in English and French on this page:
http://typo3.org/teams/security/

Finally, an IMPORTANT note: Do NOT commit this document to any of the
release branches! I first need to fix the packaging script, otherwise
things might fail during the next release...

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out