[TYPO3-core] RFC #9745: Add INSTALL.txt to TYPO3 source package

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Feb 11 21:40:14 CET 2009

Hi Dmitry,

> Michael Stucki wrote:
>> +- AllowOverride in Apache configuration at least to allow
>>
>> To be precise, it must be "Indexes" or "None". None means, don't
>> check for any .htaccess files. Everything else but "None" will
>> trigger an error if "Indexes" is not listed. So either one or the
>> other.
>
> "None" is possible. But I am still for having "at least" there. I
> have my reasons and here they are.
>
> "at least" exists because admins can allow other overrides. Your
> versions will raise questions whether other overrides can be added or
> it can be only "Index" or "None". My version does not raise such
> questions. So my version is more precise in fact :)

If I was an admin and read that "Indexes" is the minimum requirement,
then I would not assume that "None" is also possible.

(Do not only think about the average user, also consider the
professional hosters that prefer to put such information into the global
configuration in /etc/apache2 if they can. They most likely would be
willing to set AllowOverride to "None" if possible.)

But do what you prefer.

>> +The following configuration is recommended:
>>
>> That is almost the same section again. I would remove the duplicate
>>  lines and just mention the differences instead.
>
> 1. This document is normative. Normative documents do not list
> differences, they list a complete set of requirements. 2. There are
> two distinct sections: minimum and recommended. Forcing users to read
> two sections instead of one is not good. 3. Having incomplete
> sections are likely to cause user errors.

OK. But then please follow Christopher's proposal to move the download
part on top of it.

>> Finally, an IMPORTANT note: Do NOT commit this document to any of
>> the release branches! I first need to fix the packaging script,
>> otherwise things might fail during the next release...
>
> RFC says "Branches: trunk" ;)

Good. Still the script needs to be fixed for the next 4.3 versions. Make
sure to check this when the beta goes out...

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out