[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #5186: Image width for multiple columns (css_styled_content)

Ralf Hettinger ng at ralfhettinger.de
Thu May 22 00:04:27 CEST 2008

Hi Steffen,

thanks for mentioning :) Gives me opportunity to clarify.

Steffen Kamper schrieb:
> One question: you use first picture for the rounding difference. That
> results in different picture width.

My bad.
The example picture in bugtracker is probably a bit misleading, since only the
first image is involved here... read on.

> You may say: Hey, come on, it's only 1 px, you never will remark

Well. I probably wouldn't either if that was true but isn't necessarily the
case: The maximum failure is [number of images in a row]-1 px - so for 8 images
next to each other (maximum by default in tt_content) there is a maximum failure
of 7px - which is visible even for me ;)
If you need more pics in a row for some reason and change tt_content's tca, this
of course could even go worse...

In that case (8 images and a failure of 7px) and using my patch not only the
first image is reduced in width, but the first seven are reduced - each by 1 px
- to keep the best possible result of an equally distributed width impression.

If an alternate reducing is possible (remember that it's a maximum failure,
which might be smaller depending on circumstances of settings), than this is
applied, too, for the very same reason:
Let's say you only have a failure of 3px when having 8 images in a row, then the
first one would be reduced by 1px as well as the third one and the fifth one.
Which as from my experience keeps a quite good impression of equal widths and
still will keep your layouters calm (admittedly I mostly won't see one px
differences anyways ;) )

> Ok, may be right, but i know designers who meters all and cry because of one
> missing pixel.

The more failure, the more howling... ;) True.

> So why don't you use the difference with space at the end?

However, I hope I made myself clear: If it was for one px only, I wouldn't care
that much as well. But if it grows up to 7px on a default TYPO with 8 imgs in a
row, it's not only the designers that will shrug but anyone with what you would
call normal visible skills...

So it isn't that simple, since the failure might grow up to visible howling...
(hehe)

> sry for this dainty remark

No harm taken.

Cheers