[TYPO3-core] RFC: #8571: Moving backend search to the right

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Mon Jun 2 13:53:19 CEST 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:

Hi Dmitry,

> Where do you see inconsistency? I added several my own items locally and
> I do not have a problem with search. It stays on the same place all the
> time.

depends how you look at it, for the rest of us it moves to the left the
more items you add - so it's not fixed at all.

> Why should it be on the right from now on? Just because of MacOS?
> Well, bad reason. Copying without idea is never good. TYPO3 is not MacOS.

TYPO3 sure is not OS X, but there's a reason for copying this time:
Users are used to it. There was even some research about where users
expect which elements of a site which concluded on the same. (logo/home
link at the top left, menu on the left, search on the top right, and so on)

> If those mystic widgets appear and they require search in the rightmost
> position - fine, we will do it. But why touch it now? Just because you
> can???

No, of course not because we can, but because then nobody will notice
that there was a bug (accept you of course ;)

> May be you should learn from Kasper: he always presented a whole concept
> behind his changes. This is why most of his changes are so effective and
> welcome. He never worked randomly.

(workspaces? SCNR ;)

 > I am out.
ah, come on!
I agree with many of your points, still no reason to leave

best
Ingo

--
Ingo Renner