[TYPO3-core] RFC: #8571: Moving backend search to the right

Jens Hoffmann jens at typo3.org
Sun Jun 1 20:42:45 CEST 2008

Hi Dmitry,

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
> Steffen Kamper wrote:
>> The Toolbar item "Backendsearch" should always be the most right item
>> to have search at a fixed position.
>
> Why? I see no reason.
>
>> I did that with attached patch.
>
> The change again... :( Why do we have to rearrange existing things?
> Users just get used to a new interface and they have to learn again.
>
> -1 on the idea because it does not add any value but forces users to
> learn again. We are no M$ to rearrange UI at every release. Sorry.

M$ :)

Ok, I see/understand your problem. So we should decide this, for the right version we
should us this patch.

4.2 is quite unfinished in my point of view when it comes to HCI. It was to fast
released with a lot of HCI bugs still included. For sure we could say, just leave
them in, but I don't think you would do this with coded bugs. So I would like to
have them as fast as possible removed, before "TopMenu"-Widgets will be released.
Right now nobody will see that there is this bug just because there are no Widgets.

- If 4.2.1 come soon, it should go in!
- If 4.2.1 takes more than 1 month until today, it should go into 4.3.

As Steffen wrote, we talked about this in Arnheim and came to the solution that
we should have some statics there. Known form other, similar interfaces. For e.g OsX.
The search is always at the most top right. And this is very helpful, if you try to
get some consistent interface feeling.

So i would vote for a +1 on this patch and I hope you could understand me. :)

I would even go one step further and say "User plugins" should be right after "User/Logout"
And the rest is static. What I fear is that you have a different TopMenu feeling from Backend
to Backend. Could you understand me?

user/logout | [User plugins] | WS | Shortcuts | Cache | Search

Greez Jens

Jens Hoffmann
[TYPO3 - HCI Team Leader]
[DKD - Creative Director]