[TYPO3-core] RFC: #9863: [Feature] Adding sysext tsbrowser

Franz Holzinger franz at fholzinger.com
Wed Dec 3 11:35:45 CET 2008

Hello Uschi,

>> The normal users see too many features and modules of TYPO3.
>> Therefore it is the better way to reduce the features shipped by
>> default with TYPO3. I agree that everyone will then need to install
>> some extensions to be able to do a useful work with TYPO3. But this
>> will be very different for most persons!

> Sorry Franz, but this is not the point, at least not in my eyes. Subject
> of this thread are neither TV or real url or extensions that help
> developing extensions, we are talking about easy ways to deal with
> TypoScript and TSConfig, two things each and everybody who sets up and
> configures a TYPO3 site is concerned with, beginners, quarter coders and
>  intermediate (admin)users like myself and an expert like steffen who
> coded this nice little ext.
> Formally it might be an extension (like t3editor), but it just fits into
> it's place so well that most people would not even realise that it is an
> extension!
There is no doubt that this extension will be useful for many persons.
Therefore I have compared it with other TYPO3 extensions like TV or
phpMyAdmin which are very important for many users and admins.
But again, I disagree that TYPO3 should ship extensions which are not
needed to run the system. The less sysexts we have, the better it will
be. And the more normal exts we have, this would even be better, if you
can easily find the extension for your needs.

>> Most persons install phpMyAdmin, but it is not needed for many others
>> because they do not have the knowledge to use it.
>
> Well, phpmyadmin is a third party tool well known outside the world of
> typo3, you say there are many installation where it
In the past even phpMyAdmin has been shipped with each TYPO3 download!
It is a very important tool, but still it has been removed from TYPO3.
And this is no problem at all, because it is available on TER.

>> The same is with  TypoScript.
>
> No this is not the same: TypoScript is a typo3 core feature, and as
> stated already, dealing with it should be made as easy as possible.
But you do not need a tool to have a better editing or display of
TypoScript setup at every TYPO3 site. Just think of a site where nobody
will do any development. All the development and editing is done only on
another site. Then the just the database is çopied to the site which is
online.

>> Many TYPO3 users just copy the TypoScript from a document or from a
>> book without an understanding of it.
>
> True as that might be, steffens little ext will help them to get an
> overview as it is the case with the TSConfig browser.
Yes, this sounds really being a useful extension.

>> It would be better to improve the listings of extensions on the
>> typo3.org site. Persons should have it easier to find the extensions
>> helpful for their needs.
>>

> There is certainly a need for that, but again, this is completely
> independent of the question whether the ts browser should become a
> sysext or not.
It should not be added, because not everybody will need it. No piece of
code inside of the TYPO3 Core needs it.

- Franz