[TYPO3-core] RFC: #9863: [Feature] Adding sysext tsbrowser

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Wed Dec 3 11:05:26 CET 2008

Hey Franz,

>>> I also think that this is the best strategy. Many persons are rather
>>> overwhelmed by too many features of TYPO3. It is better to try to get
>>> a TYPO3-light than a TYPO3-xxl.
>>>
>> @Franz: Whether or not people will feel overwhelmened by one or more
>> core features will entirely depend on how intuitive they are to use.
>> This one is so clear and congruent with what you have with the
>> TSConfig browser that I am sure people will not be puzzled once they
>> see it. On contrary: It will help t3 beginners.
>
> The normal users see too many features and modules of TYPO3.
> Therefore it is the better way to reduce the features shipped by default
> with TYPO3. I agree that everyone will then need to install some
> extensions to be able to do a useful work with TYPO3. But this will be
> very different for most persons!
>
> A TYPO3 beginner will install different extensions than a TYPO3 expert.
> A TYPO3 editor will install completely different extensions than a TYPO3
> admin.
> A TYPO3 user will install completely different extensions than a TYPO3
> developer.
> A fan of Templa Voilà will install completely different extensions than
> a TypoScript fan.
>
> Why bother a person from the left side with an extension used by a
> person from the right side and vice versa?

Sorry Franz, but this is not the point, at least not in my eyes. Subject
of this thread are neither TV or real url or extensions that help
developing extensions, we are talking about easy ways to deal with
TypoScript and TSConfig, two things each and everybody who sets up and
configures a TYPO3 site is concerned with, beginners, quarter coders and
  intermediate (admin)users like myself and an expert like steffen who
coded this nice little ext.
Formally it might be an extension (like t3editor), but it just fits into
it's place so well that most people would not even realise that it is an
extension!

> Probably there should be found other ways to ship extensions which are
> useful for one TYPO3 backend group and to tell them what is recommended
> for them to use.

This might or might not be a good idea, someone will have to sort out
what is useful, someone will have to write this piece of docs and place
it somewhere where people actually find it, and of course, it will have
to be kept up to date, and we all know how difficult that is for such a
huge project like typo3.

> Most persons install phpMyAdmin, but it is not needed for many others
> because they do not have the knowledge to use it.

Well, phpmyadmin is a third party tool well known outside the world of
typo3, you say there are many installation where it

> The same is with  TypoScript.

No this is not the same: TypoScript is a typo3 core feature, and as
stated already, dealing with it should be made as easy as possible.

> Many TYPO3 users just copy the TypoScript from a document or
> from a book without an understanding of it.

True as that might be, steffens little ext will help them to get an
overview as it is the case with the TSConfig browser.

> It would be better to
> improve the listings of extensions on the typo3.org site. Persons should
> have it easier to find the extensions helpful for their needs.

There is certainly a need for that, but again, this is completely
independent of the question whether the ts browser should become a
sysext or not.

Greets, Uschi