[TYPO3-core] FYI: Icon for new_file.gif

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Wed Apr 16 14:32:39 CEST 2008

Hey Dmitry,

I tried merging all icons from Jens to our existing icon scheme in
t3skin. It did not work. Why? Because we use PNGs, GIFs, use of the same
icon for different purposes etc. It is a complete mess.

Then we have places where the icon size is hardcoded (and of course if
it's a PNG or a GIF etc), not cool at all.
Then we have icons in extensions (even sysext), do the ext managers need
to care about the different skins or do the different skins need to
provide icons for all extensions out there they want to support?

As you can see, horrible. As many noticed already, we really need a good
skinning API for 4.3 (It's not just about icons) and I would appreciate
if we could collect our ideas in the HCI list about what sucks right now
(like I did in the previous paragraphs) in skinning terms, and then for 4.3
- set up a new branch for developing the new skinning API
- making a good default skin so that we can get rid of oldskin (and the
messy t3skin version we have right now)
- use more templating in the BE

But, once we have done this, I little man in my head tells me that once
there is the RFC in the list "it's way too much code to review for me,
please split it in smaller parts" and that it's not backwards-compatible
and shouldn't go in the Core at all. So looks like adding all changes
UI-wise at once is just a big dream of mine as well.

--
greetings,
benni.