[TYPO3-core] FYI: Fixed bug 5701: linkHandler Hook Not Initialized Properly, patch supplied by Jeff Segars

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Sep 18 12:12:06 CEST 2007

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> PHP developers never constrained themselves in this way. For this reason
> I think that PHP version dependencies are troublesome. They added
> function, funcion parameters and even changed default values and
> function results in path level releases. IMHO this is horrible.

Tell me what bad can happen if hook is added? It does not change how that typo3 version works if no one is using the hook. But even if someone uses it, it is still better than XCLASS because XCLASS requires copying of the whole (often huge) function, which means that any bug fixes to this function into core are not used. So hooks are always less harmly than forcing people to XCLASS.

At the moment I have a project where one typo3 class is heavily XCLASSes. It is horrible to port it to 4.2 because that class is reorganized in 4.2 completely. If there were hooks, it would be much easier to work with.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
Web: http://typo3bloke.net/